Joint Statement on Burma
23th February 2021
Solidarity with the people of Burma against military coup
We, the undersigned organisations, strongly condemn the military coup in Burma. The current coup is a great set back to the little achievement of the transition process towards democracy in Burma for the last decade.
We denounce the use of excessive force against the pro-democracy protesters in Burma that has already caused deaths. We also condemn the arbitrary arrests of elected representatives, pro-democracy activists and people who stood up against the military junta.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Burma in their struggle for democracy.
We call for:
- The Burmese Military must immediately reinstate the elected civilian government.
- Immediate release of all political detainees.
- Stop the brutal repression against pro-democracy protests in Burma.
- The ASEAN must suspend the membership of Burma in ASEAN until a democratically elected government is restored.
- All governments to suspend their diplomatic, military and economic cooperation with Burma until a democratically elected government is restored.
- Socialist Party of Malaysia (PSM)
- Socialist Workers Thailand
- Party of the Laboring Masses (PLM), Philippines
- Working People’s Party (PRP), Indonesia
- Sedane Labour Resource Centre (LIPS), Indonesia
- Socialist Alliance, Australia
- Europe solidaire sans frontières (ESSF), France
- League of Social Democrats, Hong Kong
- New Anticapitalist Party (NPA), France