PRESS STATEMENT PARTI SOSIALIS MALAYSIA 21ST JAN, 2020
In response to climate crisis, Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) passed a motion during 2017 National Congress conduct a study on reducing greenhouse gases. After in depth consultations with civil societies (CSOs) and PSM’s researchers in the last two years, PSM has completed a policy document to address several aspects of climate crisis.
In 2019 National Congress PSM passed a motion to launch a national campaign to address the urgent need to tackle climate change. Based on this document, PSM is launching a nationwide campaign demanding the government to “Declare Climate Emergency.”
Malaysia’s ‘business as usual‘ attitude is prevented from taking drastic but necessary measures to tackle the climate crisis.
Why we need to declare Climate Emergency Now?
- Deforestation is happening at an alarming rate, with land and natural resources under purview of the state, we are unable to regulate deforestation effectively.
- Our path to economic progress is unsustainable, with contradicting policies that demand exploitation of natural resources and preservation at the same time.
- Complete disregard for environmental effects by approving over-development Penang South Reclamation (PSR) is approved with ‘kelulusan bersyarat’.
- Failure by the government to reduce Malaysia’s absolute greenhouse gases emission.
Hence, PSM will launch “Declare Climate Emergency !” with the Phase 1 (January-2020 until May-2020) consisting of;
- First 10 Demands to six (6) Ministry which is crucial to reduce our GHG emission (letters sent to respective Ministries). Refer to Table 1 below.
- Social Media and mass media campaign to educate public about climate crisis.
- Conduct regional activities such as roadshow, forums and roundtables (refer Table 2) with communities, PSM branches, campuses and CSOs on GHG in;
a. Seberang Perai, Penang
b. Ipoh, Perak
c. Pasir Gudang, Johor
- Call for action with members of public, grassroots and CSOs for Earth Day 2020.
- Political pressure for Pakatan Harapan to enact Declare Climate Crisis in Parliament.
Phase 2 will commence in other state(s) such as Pahang, Selangor, Kedah, Terengganu, Kelantan and Perlis.
PSM will be monitoring the progress of the First 10 Demands by respective ministries. PSM’s Climate Crisis Campaign 2020: “Declare Climate Emergency” was meant to empower grassroots and communities to push necessary change.
PSM calls upon the Pakatan Harapan led government to execute fast pace actions to reduce greenhouse gases to avoid catastrophic impact due climate crisis. Malaysia could only push developed and hypocritical nations after setting good example by becoming a carbon neutral nation.
Members of publics and organization who wish to get involved, volunteer and/or support could do so by contacting 019-4479734. Alternatively, follow Parti Sosialis Malaysia at our social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and website.
Bureau for Environment & Climate Crisis
Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM)
21 January 2020.